주일설교

SEEING IS NOT BELIEVING

페이지 정보

작성자 최고관리자 작성일15-11-27 16:47 조회1,743회 댓글0건

본문

<John 20: 24-29>

The following event took place at Fort Smith, Arkansas.  A police officer on duty caught a suspected robber who had just held up a convenience store.  The name of the suspect was James Newsome, a 37-year old male.  Series of evidence gave the police officer the confidence that this suspect was the man who held up the convenience store.  First, the face of the man was captured on the security camera of the store.  Further, the same coat that the man in the security camera wore was found inside the vehicle of the suspect.  Moreover, Newsome’s wife had testified that their car had a radiator leak; on the parking lot pavement of where the suspect’s car had been parked at the convenience store, there was evidence of antifreeze.  The most damaging evidence, however, was the construction safety helmet that the suspect wore while robbing the store.  On the security camera, the name “James Newsome” was visible on the helmet.

The phrase “Seeing is believing” was probably coined for situations like the one described above.  Yet, Jesus, who appeared before Thomas, states “blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” in today’s scripture.  Belief through evidence and confirmation, according to Jesus, is not a blessed belief.  Most people, heavily influenced by science and technology, are incredulous towards things and events that are not supported by empirical evidence.  They need visual proof.  Modern people often say, “prove it” or “show me the evidence.”  Those who do not believe in God often state that since they cannot see and hear God, there is no evidence that God is indeed alive; therefore, they cannot believe in God.  But if we look closer at and analyze the events that happen around the world today, we can see that there is more evidence towards existence of God.

As we celebrate Easter, we will take a look at doubting Thomas of today’s scripture.  Perhaps Thomas, a doubter, is a carbon image of those people who refuse to or are reluctant to believe without evidence.  He can be an image of our own selves.

First, Thomas was not at the place where he was supposed to be.  According to verse 24 of today’s scripture, he was one of Jesus’ 12 Disciples and had a nickname of “Didymus.”  The word “Didymus,” a Greek word, means “twins,” which leads many Bible scholars to believe that he was born as a twin.  According to John 11: 6, Thomas dearly loved Jesus; we can also see that he was not afraid to die with Jesus.  In many aspects, Thomas was a good, loyal disciple.  But he was also a pessimist who believed that all things came to an end with the crucifixion of Christ.  Therefore, he was not with the other disciples when Jesus appeared before them after resurrection.  Thomas did not believe in the resurrection of Christ.

Likewise, Christians need to be at the place where they are supposed to be.  They cannot be at other places during Sunday worship services.  They cannot be wandering in other places when they are supposed to be at the place of grace and blessing.  Christians must actively participate in church activities and be cognizant of all church events.  Some members of a congregation do not even know some of the key events on the calendar.  We have repeatedly announced that there will be a church photo event to commemorate our church’s 25th anniversary; yet, some people do not even know.  They are not at the place where they are supposed to be.

Thomas missed the first opportunity to meet the resurrected Jesus when He first appeared among His disciples.  He was finally able to meet Jesus about a week later.  Thomas was probably wallowing in sorrow and despair, not keeping in touch with the other disciples, and not even remotely expecting, let alone knowing, about the resurrection of Christ.  Only when Christians congregate and socialize together, they can witness and experience the miracle of God’s work.  Please be at the place where you are supposed to be!

Second, Thomas refused to believe without seeing.  Take a look at verse 25.  “The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”  But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hands to His side, I will not believe.””  We call people like Thomas a positivist.  They are very meticulous.  If there is any doubt, they refuse to believe until the veil of doubt has been lifted.  In a sense, Thomas is a very honest person.  “What, a dead person came back to life?  How can that happen?  Until I see it with my eyes and prove it with my hands, I will not believe!”  Such disposition is not bad.  Rather than those who claim unconditional belief without conviction, people like Thomas, who harbor honest incredulity, can become better Christians.

Honest incredulity, or honest doubt, is not necessarily bad for faith.  Our faith must become “faith seeking understanding,” and not some vague, blind faith.  Our faith must be firm and stout enough to able to answer, with confidence and conviction, the universal question of those without faith: “Why do you believe?”

Third, Thomas makes a great confession of faith after touching Christ, claiming, “My Lord and my God!”  Upon hearing the news of the resurrection of Christ, Thomas states that he could not believe until he saw with his own eyes.  Jesus finally came to the house of the disciples, when Thomas was with them, 8 days after he first appeared before them.  Standing in the middle, Jesus speaks to unbelieving Thomas.  According to verse 27, He states, “Reach your fingers here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side.  Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”  Even though the front door was locked, Christ walked into the house.  Because He was resurrected, He came through the locked door, towards His disciples.  Not only did Jesus enter through the locked door, He walked through the locked heart of Thomas and opened his heart to belief.

Thomas checks the hand and the side of Jesus, to feel for the print of the nail and the wound from a spear, as he was instructed.  Upon confirming the scars and wound of the crucifixion, he lets out an exclamation.  It was an exclamation of faith: “My Lord and my God!”  Martin Luther once stated that “The most important thing is the possessive pronoun, first person singular, MY.”  It is true.  There is a difference between the phrases  “Jesus is the Lord of this world, the savior of mankind” and “Jesus is my Lord, my Savior.”  The important thing for us is to make Jesus our Savior and experience Him as the Son of God, to make Him our Savior and our God.

After the Civil War, General John B. Gordon, one of the renowned commanders of the Confederate Army, decided to run for the Senate.  On the day of the nomination, one of his former aides opposed Gordon’s entry into politics.  This man had the firm belief that Gordon should never become a senator.  On the day of the nomination for candidacy, this man, with a deep frown on his face, walked up to the table with an opposing “nay” ballot.  This man happened to see the face of General Gordon, who sat at the other side of the table.  The face he looked at was not the handsome face of General Gordon he once knew; rather, it was a deformed, scarred face of a longtime war veteran.  Deep within his heart, this man felt an inspiration.  He changed his mind regarding Gordon’s candidacy and thought, “I cannot oppose General Gordon.  I must support his candidacy!”  He looked at General Gordon and said, “General, forgive me.  I forgot about your scars!”

Loving fellow Christians, when Thomas felt the print of nail in Jesus’ hand and the scar from the spear on his side, he reminisced about Jesus, who took the burden of the cross for him.  Without knowing, he shouted, “My Lord and my God!”  On this Easter morning, think about Jesus who died on the cross and His scars.  Then claim Him as your personal savior and Lord, and receive Him wholeheartedly!

Fourth, blessed are those who believe without seeing.  To Thomas, who had to check for himself the scars on Jesus’ hands and side before accepting the fact that Jesus has resurrected, Jesus throws a stinging word of advice.  According to verse 29, Jesus states, “Blessed are those who have not seen yet have believed.”  Those who believe without seeing are those who are truly blessed.  True faith is different from the world of intellect.  It is disparate from the world of science and technology.  True faith is believing that there is heaven and life after death without seeing or experiencing first-hand.  Therefore, seeing is not believing.  True faith is believing without seeing.  To those, all blessings flow.

There is a story about a missionary who was translating the Bible into the native language of a tribe.  The missionary was trying to translate “Believe in Christ” into the native language, yet could not find the appropriate phrase.  One day, the missionary was trying to translate John 3: 16 when one of the tribal members, who had already converted to Christianity, visited him to talk about his new religion.  After exchanging pleasantries and formalities, the missionary asked the tribal member for the appropriate expression of “believe.”  After a brief thought, the man answered, “I think the best way to describe the word ‘believe’ would be to say, ‘to sit down.’”  Surprised at this unexpected answer, the missionary asked for explanation.  The man replied, “You are sitting on a chair.  Therefore, you must believe that the chair will hold you.”  Greatly graced by this reply, the missionary translated John 3: 16 as such.  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever sits down (believes) on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

It is true.  Because we have faith, we let barbers work about our faces and heads with a sharp pair of scissors and blades.  Because we have faith, we drive in cars that other people manufactured.  Most events and activities we partake in require certain amount of faith.  Resurrection of Christ is the same way.  We did not confirm with our own eyes and hands, but if we take into account the transformation of the disciples, the establishment of Church, and the miracles that ensued after the resurrection of Christ, there is more than enough evidence to believe.  Resurrection of Christ requires not intellect but belief!

There are many legends regarding Thomas.  Later on, Thomas became famous for “The Gospel of Thomas” and “Acts of Thomas.”  There is one believable legend of Thomas.  After Jesus arose to heaven following His resurrection, the disciples drew a straw to see who will spread the gospel in which region.  Thomas got India as his region.  Thomas initially refused his region, saying that he could not spread the word of the gospel in India due to his poor health.  But after Jesus appeared in his dreams to convince him, Thomas acquiesced and went to India.  He diligently performed God’s work in India, and today, he is considered the father of Christianity in southern India.  Thomas was not the one who was easily convinced or readily obedient.  But once he accepted and obeyed, he ensured that all things were performed to high standards.  Rather than those who are easily convinced and obedient yet lack the stamina to see things to the end, Thomas is a much better person to have around.

On this beautiful Easter morning, remember the story about the incredulous Thomas and his kneeling before and obedience to resurrected Jesus.  No matter what your reservations or incredulity may be regarding our religion, Jesus wants to show you the proof, the evidence.  Like the refrain from Hymn states, “Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him!  How I’ve prove Him o’er and o’er!”  Yet the one thing that Jesus wants is for us to believe in His world without visual proof, visceral evidence, and the manual confirmation.  In the world of religion, seeing is not believing!  Blessed are those who believe without evidence!

I pray in the name of our Lord that all of you can believe in the resurrection of Christ without seeing the miracle of resurrection first hand. 

Blessed are you who believe! 

Amen.          

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.