주일설교

FREEDOM FROM FEARS

페이지 정보

작성자 최고관리자 작성일15-11-27 18:00 조회1,917회 댓글0건

본문

<2 Timothy 1: 6-8>

There are some 628 different types of phobias in this world.  Claustrophobia(fear of being closedness), anuptaphobia (fear of staying single), dromophobia (fear of crossing the street), verbaphobia (fear of words), are some of the words that you are probably unfamiliar with.  But there are even rarer phobias.  Pantaphobia, fear of everything, and phophobia, fear of fear, are two of the rare phobias.  Pantaphobia is characterized as having fear of everything that one may encounter, and phophobia is where the mere mention of the word ‘fear’ strikes deep fear within those afflicted.

One psychologist stated that only two types of people in this world are completely free from fear.  They are dead people and mentally handicapped people.  Hence, those who are alive with full mental capacity are naturally bound to feel fear.

Past September 11th marked the one-year anniversary of the 9-11 terror attacks.  People remember the surprising terror that unfolded during that infamous day.  Hundreds of airline passengers and thousands of workers in two of the world’s tallest buildings turned to ashes within a span of few minutes.  Subsequent anthrax scare plagued the American continent in the following months.  Many people realized and feared the potential calamity that biochemical terror posed.  The terror and fear that many people felt are somewhat subsided and calmed today yet, they are far from being completely eradicated.

Visiting the homes of our congregation over the past couple of months, I came to regard economic concerns as the foremost worry of our congregation.  Being a military town, Killeen is very much dependent upon the in and out of soldiers who are based out of Fort Hood.  Major deployments, whether it is to support a training exercise or actual deployment for war, have profound effect on the Killeen and surrounding community’s economy.  Therefore, many of the Killeen residents especially business owners play a keen attention to the current confrontation between the US and Iraq and impending possibility of war.  Even if Iraq allowed unconditional return of United Nations weapons inspectors, many people feel that war in the Middle East may be inevitable.  Negative impact in the financial pockets of our congregation members also has an effect on financial situation of the church; therefore, I am also worried about the specters of war.

Today’s scripture is words of encouragement from Paul, who was in his second imprisonment in a Roman prison, to his young disciple Timothy.  Paul, who himself was imprisoned and preparing himself for martyrdom, writes this letter to Timothy, who was obsessed with great fear, to calm and encourage him. 

What was the source of fear that Timothy faced?  Imprisonment of Paul, who had been father of Timothy’s faith and his great mentor, probably had a profound impact on young pastor Timothy.  No matter how devout a man of faith Timothy may have been the great misfortune that befell Paul probably put Timothy in a big psychological slump.  Timothy himself could have been imprisoned, like Paul.  He could have died sooner or later.  Paul wrote this letter to Timothy, who was overcome with fear and worries regarding suffering and death, in order to give him courage.

​Reminiscing about Timothy, who was greatly downtrodden because of Paul’s imprisonment, let’s take a look at today’s scripture one more time.  For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.  For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  So do not be shamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of his prisoner.  But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. 

In this passage, Paul is stressing three things.  First, he tells Timothy to stir up, or resurrect, his firm faith in God, the gift of God.  Paul is instructing Timothy to re-ignite, or rekindle, his waning faith in face of fear.  Second, he is telling Timothy that the attitude, or the heart, that God gives us through the Holy Spirit is not of cowardice but of ‘power,’ ‘love,’ and ‘self-discipline.’  We will become full within God’s Spirit not through timidity but through true faith and courage.  Third, Paul is telling Timothy not to be embarrassed about the imprisonment and impending death of Paul himself.  Rather, he is encouraging Timothy to prepare himself for the life of suffering with the Gospel of Christ.

Keeping Timothy’s personal situation in mind, let’s think about how Timothy was able to free himself from his fears.  And the following is three ways to free yourself from fear.

First, recognize and accept the fact that you are in fear.  The most courageous person in this world is the one who recognizes and accepts truth at its face value.  If you have sinned, then honestly confess and pray for forgiveness.  Excuses, lies, and needless justifications only beget greater problem.  Even the great man of faith such as Timothy trembled in fear.  And therefore, it is only natural for ordinary people like us to feel fear.  What will this economic recession do to my business?  How will I pay for my children’s tuition?  How will I cope with increasingly difficult immigrant lifestyle?  In the face of all these uncertainties, how will my future unfold?  Etc.?

All of you will have some fears.  Do not deny the fact that you have fears!  Recognize and accept all fears in your heart.  Only then will you be able to overcome your fears properly!  Napoleon Hill, well known for his ‘success theory,’ worked as an advisor for Franklin Roosevelt (1882-1945) when he wrote a very famous speech.  The title of that speech was “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”  It is true.  The thing that we need to be afraid of is not the various fears that crop up during our daily lives.  Rather, it is fear itself.  And therefore, do not be afraid to directly face your fears!

Second, believe in the fact that God is much bigger than your fears.  What does Jesus say about fear?  “Look at an ostrich!  Look at how an ostrich buries his head in the desert sand when faced with fearful situations.”  Our Lord did not say this.  When a lion chases after it, an ostrich, despite being able to run over 70 km an hour, stops and sticks its head in the sand.  Just because the ostrich does not see the lion, it doesn’t mean that the lion has gone away or disappeared.  Avoidance and ignoring are not the ways to overcome fear.

Jesus states in Matthew 6: 26.  “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?”  In Matthew 6: 31, He tells us not to worry about what we will eat, what we will drink, and what we will wear.  God is surely much greater than our fears or worries.  God is great enough to take all our worries and fears upon Himself!  So He clearly tells us in Isaiah 41: 10.  “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”  Throughout the Bible, God tells us “fear not” some 58 times. 

Whenever you begin to fear, leave that fear up to our Lord!  God, who is greater than all our collective fears, will solve and erase the source of our fears.  Remember the words of 1 Peter 5: 7.  “Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 

Then why do we harbor fear in our hearts when God tells us to leave everything up to Him?  It is because we do not completely trust God.  God, who is bigger than all our problems, has already solved our worries; yet, we continue to hang onto our worries and fears in our hearts. 

Two Buddhist monks were walking along a muddy street in Japan.  The rain had rendered the roads very difficult to walk on.  When they arrived at the mouth of a winding road, they happened to run into a stunningly beautiful, silk kimono wearing young woman.   Because she was wearing such fine clothing, she was not able to cross a mud puddle.  One of the monks, Tanzan, held the young woman with both arms and carried her across the mud pit to a dry spot on the other side of the street.  The other monk, Ekido, seemed to be very upset about what just happened and did not say a word out of anger until they arrived at their destination, the Buddhist temple. 

After a long silence, Ekido opened his mouth.  “Tanzan, you know very well that we are not supposed to be near women.  Yet, today, you held a young, beautiful woman in your arms!  This is something that goes completely against the Buddhist doctrines!”  Ekido’s criticism, however, seemed to have no effect on Tanzan.  Rather, with a serene smile, Tanzan answered, “I left that young lady back down there, so I forgot about her.  But it seems that you still have her in your heart!”  Tanzan had already forgotten about the young lady; however, Ekido still had her in his heart!

Who is a better Buddhist, freer from carnal desires?  Is it not Tanzan?  Likewise, if we still worry and fear when God has told us that He will take care of all our worries, then we will be no better than Ekido.  More simply, we would be like a pedestrian with a heavy backpack who still wears the backpack on his back on the bed of a truck after he is offered a ride by the truck driver. 

When you board the car or the plane that is headed to heaven, then put down your heavy burdens called fear.  By holding onto it, we would be the only ones losing out!  Just as the plane and the car will safely take our luggage to our destination without our carrying it, God will take care of our heavy burdens.  Listen to God’s words in Matthew 11: 28.  “Come to Me, all of you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”  All your heavy burdens called fear, leave them up to Lord Jesus and find true rest and sanctuary!

Third, you must be filled with the abundance of the Holy Spirit.  There is a proverb.  “Fear knocked at the door, faith answered, and there was no one there.”  We can rephrase this proverb.  “Fear knocked at the door, the Holy Spirit answered, and there was no one there.”  No matter how much fear knocks at our hearts, if we are abundant through the Holy Spirit, than all fears will disappear.  We can overcome and defeat fear with the abundance of God’s Spirit!

An English bishop received a request for sermon for a conference for a large congregation.  This bishop did not respond for several weeks, thinking that he may not accept their request.  Then the secretary of the conference sent a letter to the bishop.  “We can prepare for our conference only if we know whether you can come and deliver your sermon or not.  Please let us know whether you can accept our invitation.” 

And then the bishop sent the following response.  He told them that he is waiting for the word from the Holy Spirit whether as to he should go and deliver his sermon, and that he will give his answer in four weeks.  Upon receiving that letter, the secretary was very upset and sent the following reply to the bishop immediately.  “Bishop, please don’t bother.  Cancel the invitation.  We are not interested in having anyone speak at our conference who lives four weeks away from the Holy Spirit.”

Holy Spirit comes and goes like the wind, freely, unexpectedly and rapidly.  It does not come according to some set schedules.  Therefore, when we become filled with the power of the Holy Spirit at any time in any place, we can defeat fear.  At this hour, receive the abundance of the Holy Spirit!  The Holy Spirit will drive your fears away!

Timothy was probably one of the greatest pastors in the history of Christianity.  He helped Paul establish the first church in Europe.  He established churches in Macedonia and Greece, and served some congregations at Thessalonia, Ephesia, and Corinthia.

When the Romans first imprisoned Paul, Timothy stood by him.  After then he served the congregation of Ephesus, the biggest church in Europe at the time.  When Paul passed away, Timothy was by his side.  According to one legend, Timothy was martyred during the reign of Roman Emperor Domitianus, following his teacher Paul.  Young, timid and easily fearful pastor Timothy matured into a brave martyr.

Leave every one of your fears up to our Lord.  Our Lord will make us stronger and bolder.  The same Spirit that helped Timothy will help you today! 

Amen.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.