주일설교

JESUS CHRIST, LIGHT! (JOHN 1: 1-9)

페이지 정보

작성자 최고관리자 작성일15-11-27 11:57 조회2,043회 댓글0건

본문

JESUS CHRIST, LIGHT! (JOHN 1: 1-9)  

12/ 17/ 2000  Worship service            

It is said that on Christmas Eve, Santa Claus, dressed in red clothes and a white hat, with a big bag of presents draped over his back, climbs down chimneys to stuff children's stockings full of presents.  Is this story true?  Does Santa Claus really exist?  According to Christian history, the legend of Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas--a saint who gave many presents and abundant love to abandoned and destitute children throughout his life.  

St. Nicholas was born in Asia Minor, or the region that is known today as Turkey, in 270 A. D.  St. Nicholas became a priest in the Myra region, but was later imprisoned and persecuted by Roman Emperor Diocletian.  St. Nicholas was eventually freed by Constantine the Great, who promulgated Christianity as the national religion of the Roman Empire, and passed away in 350 A. D.  In 987 A. D., Nicholas became the patron saint of Russia.  The remains of St. Nicholas was later obtained by merchants of Italy, who moved it to the city of Bari, where it remains to this day, in the San Nicholas Cathedral.  

Why did St. Nicholas became the most respected figure among the Christians of the West?  Almost 500 hymns were written and composed in honor of St. Nicholas by 1400 A. D.  On December 6, 1492, upon arriving in Haiti, Christopher Columbus, who discovered the New World, named the port where he moored his fleet the Port of St. Nicholas.  Until 1500 A. D., over 700 churches in England were dedicated in honor of St. Nicholas.  

Then why did St. Nicholas receive so much love from other people?  In sum, he dedicated his entire life to serve the poor and the needy.  St. Nicholas was the first person to start a program to aid mentally handicapped children.  He harbored a special love for children; at nights, he would dress in a red costume, so that he would not be recognized, and frequently visited children's homes.  When he visited these children's homes, he would leave money, clothes, food, and other presents for the children, unbeknownst to them, on the window sill or by the stove.  

The Dutch, who held a particular respect and regards for St. Nicholas--for his love of and gifts to children--began calling him "Sint Nikolass."  This name gradually became "Sinterklass," or "Santa Claus" among Americans over time.  The story that we all are very familiar with--the tale of Santa Claus leaving presents in children's stockings when they hang their stockings up and go to sleep on Christmas Eve--originated from a poem written in 1822 by a theological professor of the Union Theological Seminary in New York, Dr. Clement Clark Moore, who wrote the poem for his children.  The poem, titled "St. Nicholas's Visit," contains following verses:

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house,
 Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
 The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
 In the hope that St. Nicholas would be there.

Professor Moore's poem was visualized through the work of cartoonist Thomas Nast, and the image of Santa Claus, as we know it today, was born.  Of particular interest is that although the image of Santa Claus was created from the works of a theological professor and a cartoonist, it was not a fantsay, without basis.  This story originated from the historical accounts of Saint Nicholas, who lived in 3rd century A. D., whose love of children--and giving of presents to these children--is well documented.  
In another week, it will be Christmas, the day Baby Jesus was born.  The children who wait for this day are full of anticipation and excitement, wrought with the belief that Santa Claus will fill their stockings hung by the chimney.  

However, for us Christians, this day is full of anticipation and excitement for a more important reason.  We wait for this Christmas day because it is the day that Jesus came to us, in a ray of light.  Jesus became the big star in the sky to light up the dark evening sky.
I spoke to a friend of mine who lives in Littlerock, Arkansas.  Not too long ago, a cold front swept through the region, bringing sleet and snow flurry while knocking out power.  They had to weather through many inconveniences of not having power for several days.  The one thing that this pastor and his family wanted the most during the power outage was restoration of electricity.  

The one thing that people living in darkness desperately and wholeheartedly desire is light.
Gospel of John interprets Jesus as the eternal life and light.  To facilitate our correct understanding of Jesus, who became the Life and Light, we can conjure up images that are opposite:  death and darkness.  Before Jesus came, the world was full of hate, envy, rage, revenge, war, argument. and similar things associated with death and darkness.  The fact that Christ came as the Life and Light signifies that He shined light upon the dark and dreary world, bestowing the spring of life and hope on the world that was otherwise waiting for death.

In Genesis 1, verse 3, the first thing that God says when creating the universe was "Let there be light!"  When there was light, the rest of the universe began coming into being.  Light is the start of creation.  Without light, nothing can see nor be seen.  Because of street lights and headlights, we can drive and walk safely at night.  We cannot imagine a lightless world.  A world without light is that of despair and death.  In the midst of a world ruled by death and darkness, Jesus came as the true Life and Light to the world.  Then what does the fact, that Jesus came beside us as a ray of light, mean?

First, light has the power to reveal itself.  When we enter a dark room and switch on the light, the first thing that happens is that the light reveals itself, emitting bright rays in all directions.  The fact that Jesus came to us as a ray of light means that the previously hidden God's image has been effervescently revealed.  No one knew God; however, with the arrival of Jesus, God revealed Himself, and all had the opportunity to get to know who He is.  

In book of John, chapter 8, the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman, charged with adultery, in front of Jesus.  According to the Law of Moses, they said, such woman was to be stoned; yet they came to Jesus to ask regarding proper punishment for the woman.  They cast this question to test Him and to accuse and trap Him.  Should Jesus tell these men to free the woman, He would be disobeying the Law of Moses, providing ample opportunity for these men to arrest Jesus on moral grounds.  Should Jesus tell these men to stone the woman to death, He would be contradicting His own teachings, of loving one's enemy, thereby losing credibility.  Jesus, however, cleverly avoids the trap, commanding "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first."  

All those who had gathered dropped their stones and walked away, their sudden conscience disabling them from hurling stones at the accused woman.  Then Jesus follows by saying, in John 8 verse 12, "I am the light of the world.  He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."  This crucial word from Jesus contrasts and exposes the stark differences between the hypocritical Pharisees, who commit many sins in darkness yet are quick to pass judgement on others, and the just and fairness of Jesus.  We must all remember that Christmas is the glorious day when the Jesus--who became Light--and the previously unknown character of God came into bright being amongst us.

Second, light brightens everything around it.  Not long ago, there was an interesting article in a US newspaper.  Three women, who were returning from a party, came upon a heavy downpour of rain.  The only light in this pitch-dark night, where one couldn't see two feet in front of him, was the headlight of their car.  

However, the headlight malfunctioned, and the three women eventually drowned in pitch darkness as rising water engulfed their car without warning.  Without Jesus Christ, who became Light, our lives would be no different than those of the three women who drowned in the water in the midst of total darkness.
A man once confessed to his pastor, saying "had I believed in God earlier in my life, I would have not failed in my marriage and kept from inflicting such pain on my children."  The Light of God, shined upon us through Christ, brings us peace, happiness, and security.  

No matter how dark the night is, if we have a good flashlight, we can find our way.  Likewise, Jesus is the guide light, the beacon which leads us down the right path to life and hope when we are lost and have gone astray.  Jesus states in John 12, verse 46, "I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness."  It is true.  We will not succumb to death and darkness if we follow Jesus, who came to us as a ray of Light.  

Third, light provides security.  A little night light, or a small ceiling light, affords us the necessary security against darkness and danger.  I often forget to turn on the front door light when I leave for the church in late afternoons, thinking that it will still be light when I return.  After evening services, however, I often discover that I had miscalculated, and often find myself having difficulties opening my front door in total darkness.  The task of opening the door would be simple if I had some overhead lighting; however, the mere fact that I had forgotten to turn on the light makes the task all the more difficult.  

The streetlight that line the sidewalks provide security for pedestrians at night.  We find ourselves assured when there is light.  A world without light is full of despair, uncertainty, and fear.  However, light casts away all the uncertainty and fear.  We are freed from worry.
Jesus came to us as a ray of light.  Jesus is the true light of this world.  We do not fear any nights or darkness throughout our lives because we know that Jesus is with us.  Just as a lost ship in the middle of a dark sea can find its way home using a lighthouse as a beacon, we can find the true path by looking to Jesus, who is our Light.  Our Light, Jesus, will lead us down the right path.

In Luke 2, verse 10, good news was delivered to the shepherds through the angels.  "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people."  Christmas is indeed a good news for the human race.  It is the day when Jesus came as Light and Life to humanity, who had lived trapped in darkness and death.  Bring Jesus, who became our Light and Life, into your hearts.  Escape from death and darkness that may surround us.  Our Lord will bless each of our lives with great happiness and hope.  Amen.            

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.