주일설교

The Gain of Suffering (Psalm 119: 65-72)

페이지 정보

작성자 최고관리자 작성일15-11-27 11:34 조회1,745회 댓글0건

본문

7/ 22/ 2000  Worship service            

One Sunday morning, a man rolled over in bed and said to his wife, "I'm not going to church today.  I'm really tired, people there don't like me, and the sermons are always boring."  His wife pushed him out of bed and said, "You have to go to church.  First, we always worship on Sunday no matter how we feel.  Second, it doesn't matter whether the people like you or not.  And third, you're the pastor."

This is a joke about a pastor who complained to his wife that he did not want to go to church.  Before I start my sermon today, I would like to stress the importance of keeping the holy sabbath.  God gave us seven days during the week; for six days, He implored us to go out and work hard for our living; Sunday, or the day of the Sabbath, is a day that belongs not to us but to God.  Therefore, it is a day of worship, to praise and pray to God and His grace.  

I would like all of us to keep this day holy, and get in the habit of observing Sabbath.  No matter how much you are busy, I would like all of you to take some time out on Sunday to come forth in front of God and offer holy service.
Since I've been the pastor of this church, I've seen a lot of people in pain and suffering during my routine visits.  There are many whose heart aches because of husband problems, children problems, family problems, health problems, and financial problems.  Feeling their pain and suffering through my own skin, I am in the midst of a deep thought, of how I can help these people and effectively lead them as a head of this congregation.

Last year, one of my fellow pastors at a Methodist church in Connecticut died of Leukemia.  He was one of the bright pastors--with a good future in front of him--and this disease suddenly took him away from us.  He was quite young--about year or two younger than me.  I was quite surprised--and shocked--at the news of his death, since I had seen him in good health, about one year prior to his death, during a Pastor's conference in New York.  My heart aches when I think about not only the pastor who died at such a young age, but the family--wife, kids, and parents--that he left behind.
As we lead our lives, such pain is inevitable.  

There is a saying in buddhism, "Life is bitterness,"--that our lives are like a raft in the midst of the sea of suffering.  Every man has an adversity, or an obstacle, that he must deal with.  People in poverty often think they are the only ones affiliated with difficulties; however, people in wealth have their own problems which they must deal with.  People who have failed think they are the only ones suffering; however, people who have succeeded experience similar tribulations.  People suffering from disease think that they are the only ones in pain; however, people in good health also have their own sets of pain and suffering.  Therefore, we must remember that as humans, once we are born, we cannot avoid adversity.  And when we are deep in suffering, we must remember that my suffering, despite seeming bigger than those levied on others, is actually similar to mine in scope.

Today, we will first discuss three type of adversities, and explain why, despite being ever-giving and benevolent, God has levied such obstacles on us.  Personally, I think there are three types of adversity.  First, there is adversity that result from our own mistakes.  For example, if someone drives while they are intoxicated and cause an accident that results in a death of someone, that adversity is purely the result of the drunken driver's mistake.  Person making such a mistake must take full responsibility for his actions and gladly accept any suffering that results from such adversity he created.  

Second, there are adversity that had nothing to do with a person's mistake or conduct.  These are adversity that usually happens by coincidence or for no apparent reason.  Couple of years ago, several undeserving students at Columbine High school in Colorado were shot by two deranged student.  As we lead our lives, we often witness bad things happening to good people.  In the Old Testament, man named Job, despite being a God-fearing and naive man, undergoes many tribulations.  

This is an example of suffering when there is no apparent reason or justification for such suffering.  Third, there is voluntary adversity or suffering--that takes place under someone's own volition and choosing.  During the 19th Century, there was a Belgian Catholic missionary named Joseph Damien, who did his missionary work in a quarantine facility for lepers in one of the Hawaiian islands called Molokai.  Father Damien, believing that the only way to truly conduct God's mission is to become one with the people suffering from leprosy, gladly succumbed himself to and was infected by the disease.  This type of suffering, voluntarily and sacrificially undertaken for the happiness and salvation of others, is the third type of suffering.  The suffering and pains of Jesus Christ, undertaken for the happiness and salvation of mankind, is the third type of suffering.

Of the three type of suffering, the most righteous one is the third kind--suffering for one's neighbors with grateful heart.  However, regardless of the reason for suffering, we must remember that all suffering is beneficial to us.  The reading for today, from Psalm verse 71, says "It is good for me that I have been afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes."  Instead of being harmful, it is actually good for us to become afflicted, to suffer.  Then how does these afflictions help us during the course of our lives?
First, suffering is beneficial because it makes us more mature.  In one of the Korean pop songs, there is a verse that states "mature as much as I suffer."  Suffering makes us more mature and enables us to come of age.  Several years ago in Korea, several hundred people died when the Sampoong department store collapsed.  There isn't a death that is devoid of heartache, of pain, of yearning, and of suffering by those left behind.  

One middle aged man donated the entire sum of his compensation, for his son's death during the tragedy, to a scholarship fund.  In book of Romans 5: 3-4, as it is stated that "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character, and character, hope," that our many afflictions make our lives more complete and mature.  Therefore, in verse 67 of Psalm 119, it is stated "Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep your word."  Tribulations make our lives more meaningful.  Tribulations lead our lives to become more mature.
Second, suffering, or tribulations, become starting point from which we approach God.  Most people think they are invincible before running into diversity.  They rely on their abilities, their experiences, and their wealth.  

However, once they come upon diversity which they cannot overcome with their own abilities, they start relying on God.  During suffering, if we insist on our righteousness, we will not be able to overcome the adversity.  The most important thing that we can do to overcome tribulation is repent our own sins.  It is when we look back upon our actions, pound our chest and repent our sins that God accepts us and allows us the strength to overcome our tribulations.  In suffering, we must always remember and believe that God is the one that will solve our adversity.  Solving any problem takes time.  During this time, there are many opportunities for temptations.  There is a strong temptation to stray from God and rely on worldly, or secular, methods to overcome our tribulations.  However, if we persevere and wait patiently, God will help us solve our problems.

Lastly, tribulation is a blessing in disguise.  During times of trial, is we trust God unwaveringly, God will ensure that our tribulations transform into blessing, our sorrow into happiness, and our tears into smiles.  The truth that we must always remember is that blessing often disguises itself as tribulations momentarily before it visits us.  During your tribulations God will always be with you.  God suffers while you suffer and mourns when you are deep in sorrow.

There was a big forest fire in the Yellowstone National Park.  Scientists, in order to assess the damage done by the fire, went to the part to conduct their research.  One scientist, while conducting his research, came upon a fossilized bird under a big tree; in order to look at the tree, he moved the fossilized bird with his stick.  Underneath the bird, there was three live hatcheling.  The mother bird, perhaps sensing the imminent fire, moved her offsprings to the bottom of the tree and protected them with her own body.  The mother bird could have flown to her safety; however, she did not chose to do so.  In order to save her babies, she sacrificed her own body.  God's love works in similar ways.  When we are suffering, God knows our tribulations and watches over us and protects us until the end, helping our tribulations become our blessings.

Conclusion:  In November of 1998, I applied for a position of professorship at a university in Korea and went to interview.  The reality, vastly apart from my expectations, was cold.  Everything was disappointing, and my heart was heavy.  The morning of my disappointing return to the States, I was able to watch Korean TV from my sister's house.  It was an interview of a high school graduate and his wife, who, with no college education, passed the law exam after eight or nine trials and embarked on his way to civil service.  The announcer asked his wife:  "When was it most difficult when you were supporting your husband."

The wife answered, "the most difficult time was when he failed the exam for the last time.  I had supported our entire family for seven years while my husband studied, and when he failed again, I was in despair.  Right after he failed for the last time, the regulations and format regarding the test changed, meaning that the test questions might be completely different than what he had studied for seven years.  I thought, 'everything's over,' and perhaps that thought was the most painful."  

The announcer asked again, "How were you able to overcome such adversity and challenge again to succeed?"  The wife replied, "I wanted to give up when I thought that the last 7 years' worth of effort went for naught; however, I had a conversation with our children, to look for any possible benefits that might have resulted from our 7 years of effort.  The kids that by their dad failing to pass the test, they did not have to move for another year and be near their loving friends a while longer."  

This couple, who did not despair during their suffering, but rather looked for positive and bright aspects, the silver lining, were led by God to succeed in their quest.  I mulled over and over the message of this interview on the plane ride home.  When I thought that my eight years of effort was not good enough to overcome the barrier of our society and I wasn't able to contribute to the society, I was sorely disappointed.  I had one thought on my mind on the plane ride home.  "What is the benefits of me not qualifying for the professorship?"  When I tried to look for that silver lining, the only thought that raced to my mind was those of gratefulness and thankfulness.  Are you in tribulation today?  Is there despair and pain?  Sorrow?  By trusting in God and persevering, God will surely and unfailingly change your tribulations into blessing, your sadness into happiness.  I hope that all of you will trust in and follow the God who will deliver you from your tribulations.  I pray this in the name of our Lord.  Amen.            

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.